Last night I while working Melinda Anderson’s “Back To The 80s” event, I found myself in a conversation with this 20 something Canadian girl who asked me about other parties happening later. I shared with her the only other set that I knew about. A house music set called “Moist.”
After she giggled over “Moist,” she asked my name so of course I said “my name is Tafari.” She was like oh wow, “is that from ‘The Lion King.’”
I was like excuse me? Are you for real? All followed by blank stares. No my name has nothing to do with “The Lion King.”
Then she was like, it’s OK, “people call me “Nala” all the time because my name is Nelee and I like it.”
Well, that’s nice but don’t try to get me caught up in your Disney movie name mess!
Admittedly, I did laugh on the inside when she said this to me because I knew that my kids would get a kick out of it. They call me “the lion king” or “king of the lions” all of the time because of my mane of hair.
After telling my boy about this funny incident today over lunch, he was like, she must have been thinking about “Jafar” from “Alladin.” O_o Wow!
– My name is Ethiopian in origin
– I meet some of the most interesting people when out working events
– “Scar” is my favorite character in “The Lion King”
– I’ve never seen “Alladdin”
– I wish I could time travel back to the 80’s so that I could tell myself to be a better student