When she finally came back with my food, she said (as she stared at my hair), “them some sharp dreads; how long have you had them?” My 1st reaction internally was, a) they are not “dreads” but I said “thanks and they’re about 5 years old.” She then smiled handed me my food & told me to enjoy.
Most times depending on what kind of mood I’m in, I will go into a little non-confrontational rant when people call my hair “dreads” & I wanted to today but I decided that eating & getting to work on time was more important.
Writing this quick list of things not to ask or say to someone with locks is a good alternative to me trying to educate someone on the spot. Maybe I should get the list printed on a t-shirt (please don’t steal this idea, I may turn it into a hustle this summer).
Tafari’s guide to things not to ask or say to someone with locks.
- How long are you going to let them get?
- Why do you need to know
- How often or how do you wash your hair?
- Your hair looks so neat and clean.
- This is not a compliment!
- What did you expect?
- I love your “dreads”.
- Do not assume that one with locks is a Rastafarian.
- Only Rastafarians have Dreadlocks.
- Historically speaking, Dread Locks is a demeaning term.
- Locks is a more appropriate term (if you’re talking to me).
- What does your family think about your hair?
- I’m not sure, I don’t like my family.
- Can I touch them?
- No you cannot! I don’t know when you last dug up your nose, ass, etc.
- Are you a Christian?
- What difference does it make.
- Even E40 knows that Jesus has “dreads”.
- Is that all your hair?
- I like your Bohemian style or You have a Bohemian look.
- This is not a fucking compliment & if someone with locks had on a suit would you still say that had a Bohemian look? This is like saying something looks exotic when you know damn well it looks fucked up.
- Are you making a political statement?
- Yes, I hate nosey as people getting up into my personal business.
- Do you have any weed?
- Possibly, but I do not supply my shit on the streets; fool!
I’m not some Brotherlocks/lock purist but this does get on my nerves.
I’m just saying!