Growing up it seems like I ate every bean imaginable, but black-eyed peas were always on the weekly menu. I swore when I moved out on my own, I would never eat another bean as long as I lived.
My self-imposed strike did not last long because Suite Suzy got me hooked on her pinto beans, which are much better than my momma’s. I also reneged when I started to like black-eyed peas in salads. I find them much tastier not boiled to death & sopping in thick ham hock sauce served with a huge piece of hot water cornbread.
With that said, here is the dinner that I prepared tonight; black-eyed pea salad served with feta atop Swiss chard & herb grilled chicken breast.
– 2 Cans of black-eyed peas (in water)
– 1 Jalapeño
– 1 Stick of celery
– Small red onion
– Red Pepper
– Favorite vinaigrette dressing (I used Paul Newman’s balsamic & basil vinaigrette)
– Open peas & rinse in colander under cold water
– Chop veggies
– Finely mince cilantro & basil
– Pull out your favorite citrus zester to peel the lemon
– Combine all ingredients in mixing bowl the toss
– Pour in your vinaigrette, at least a ½ cup to the bowl then toss
– Salt & pepper to taste
– Serve chilled