Yesterday I was dying to get off the plantation so that I could head to the movies to see “300”. I had been anticipating this release for weeks & actually got giddy at seeing the advertisements on TV so needless to say, my expectations were very high & a disappointment would totally fuck up my weekend.
So I am off work now & Cousin Dee & I run for a quick lunch nearby & during the entire lunch, I kept looking at my watch making sure that I had time to get to the theater & she was like damn OK I will hurry up & eat. The movie started @ 2:05 so at 1:45 I had to dip to get my ticket. After scarfing down my turkey sandwich, I bid Cousin Dee farewell & hit the freeway.
It’s now 1:55 & I m pulling into the movie parking lot & it was packed like the mall during Christmas. All I was thinking was, I hope that this damn movie is not sold out. I was really surprised to see so many people out (like me). So I get my parking space & limp into the lobby to see the line was long as hell so I got smart & went to the customer service desk & purchased my ticket there as the regular line got longer & longer. So now I gots my ticket, I breathed a sigh of relief & felt $9.75 broker.
Since the movie was being shown in IMAX I could not choose my normal middle of the theatre seat because you are assigned. My seat (L 25 (am I giving too much detail) was not all that hot but the screen is so fucking big, it really did not matter.
Anyway it is now 4:03pm & the movie is now over & I am blown away. 300 was so fucking good it is ridiculous, I mean my expectations were meet & then some. If you go see this movie, see it on an IMAX screen if possible!
The story pretty much followed history but in a beautifully bloody & brutal way. The cinematography, graphics & stunts were fucking world class & at a few points I had to wipe slob from my mouth because I could not keep it closed because I was like damn the majority of the movie.
300 was so damn good I would be satisfied if I did not see another movie for a month (that’s a lot for me). I really liked the fact that there were African in good roles even though they all got fucked up throughout the movie.
I am pretty strange when it comes to who I root for in the movies because I usually root for the antagonist & 300 was no exception. I actually wanted to see Sparta fall under the foot of Xerxes, who was one big bad mutha fucka (who also had a thing for gold eye shadow & heavy facial jewelry) but that would have been rewriting history.
There were so many things right about this movie so I hope to see it at the 2008 Oscars for digital & arts categories (the acting is not all that but who needs it when you have everything else). If you go see it, I would like t know what you thought about it. I think 300 lives up to all of the hype.
Oh, I need to mentioned that I called Best Friend Brion to tell him to go see this shit ASAP & he was like Nigga, I just did & it was awesome. We talked about the movie for like 45 minutes & felt the same way about it. I had the upper hand though because I saw it on IMAX.
One thing we both learned from the movie is that we definitely need a better & cut up body (BFB will beat me to the punch).
What I Loved:
- The narration; it made the story more intense, I think it was the voice
- The tree of the dead
- The soundtrack
- The Galloping Persian with the head of Kings. This Brother looked mean as hell & I would have not fucked with him but Leonidas did his thing
- The intoxicated dancing Oracle. This scene was spellbinding & plus her nipples were on jam
- When the Persians got fucked up by the sea storm & the look on the Spartans faces when they realized that there were 1000’s more Persians outside of the ones killed at see
- The first battle of the Spartans & Persians, hard to describe without going into a full rant
- The fighting in the shade scene (both times)
- The meeting of Leonidas & Xerxes. Shit when Xerxes pulled up in that chariot everyone in the audience was like damn…….. And then when he stepped down… Personally, I would have ran after seeing his ass
- The murder & exposure of Theron
- The all female orgy hosted by Xerxes & the Hunch back getting his freak on
- The crescendo gruesomely brutal & bloody battle scene
What Turned Me Off
- Not being able to leave to pee
Based on the epic graphic novel by Frank Miller, 300 is a ferocious retelling of the ancient Battle of Thermopylae in which King Leonidas (Gerard Butler) and 300 Spartans fought to the death against Xerxes and his massive Persian army. Facing insurmountable odds, their valor and sacrifice inspire all of Greece to unite against their Persian enemy, drawing a line in the sand for democracy. The film brings Miller’s (Sin City) acclaimed graphic novel to life by combining live action with virtual backgrounds that capture his distinct vision of this ancient historic tale.