One story that has gotten on my last damn nerve over the last 2 weeks was Isaiah Washington’s blurting “faggot” after the recent Golden Globes.
Isaish’s stupid comment was mos def fucked up but all of the press on this faux pas was just a little too much.
I really tripped out when I heard that IW was doing some homophobe rehab. WTF (like so many have said), when was homophobe rehab invented? The larger question that I have about homophobe rehab is how do you know when you are cured?
- 8-9 a.m. breakfast in group setting with gay men.
- 9-10 a.m. Breakout sessions
- Intro to drag
- History of homosexuality and religion
- Gay vs. Black American Civil Rights Movement
- 11- 12:30 p.m. Watch gay porn
- 12:30- 1 p.m. break/private time
- 1 p.m. – 3 p.m. Group session, discuss any homophobic thoughts you had today and how gay porn made you feel.
- 3:30 -6 p.m. Shopping
- 6:30 -8 p.m. Dinner and chores: Refill penis-shaped salt and pepper shakers
- 8-9 p.m. TV time (“Will & Grace” reruns,”Queer As Folk,” “Oz” “Six Feet Under” “Project Runway” “America’s Next Top Model”)
- 9:30 – 11 p.m. Late night group session
- Midnight movie: Brokeback Mountain
I posted the following comment on the AA(B)O Blog:
“That post was off the chain funny. I cracked up at the breakout sessions part. They are going to far with this rehab thing. They are really making him look like a fool.
I guess you do what you gotta do to keep a check though.”
Related to this scenario of biggotry, why come Michael Richards didn’t go into a Racist Rehab & is there one? What about Mel Gibson, should he go to some Anti Semite rehab?
A little over a week ago, the African American Opinion Blog did a post on “Why are black men so homophobic?” & the story was based on the IW situation. During the post readers were asked should IW be fired for calling someone a slur? & I had the following to say:
“Hell no, not in this instance & I think he should not have apologized. I am sick of celebs screwing up then issuing weak apologies. The apology does not change the feeling & I am sure he is not going to see a therapist to confront his “demons””
Well I guess I was wrong about him seeing a therapist!
- I think the word faggot is atrocious (then why did I say it) & I would/have not said it ever not to mention that some of my best friends are gay.
- I was called a faggot behind my back & got into fights about it when I was in high school.