I started my 3 day Memorial Day weekend off with a bang by seeing “X-Men: The Last Stand”. I left work in time to see the 545 show & as I was approaching the main entrance, an announcement came across that the 545 show as sold out (DAYUMMMM!).
So I only had to wait another 30 minutes for the 615 show, I braved the long line, made a break for the restroom & got my snacks, it’s 610. When I made my way to the theater, I looked around to see that it was already almost packed, so I stepped over a few people then took my seat to await this anticipated phenomenal movie (IMHO).
Of course there were like 30 minutes of previews, but this week it was cool with it, because all of the previews looked good, but that is beside the point.
The movie started off by showing the beginnings of Jean Grey/The Phoenix & Warren Worthington III/Arch Angel (which was a little gruesome. The build up on this movie took a little longer that the previous 2 installments but good things come to those who wait.
This movie is purely all about the action & special f/x which were astounding & I am sure cutting edge. I think now stops were put on imagination for this production.
The Last Stand’s plot is basically wrapped around a “cure” for the mutant genes, which blew up into a larger political issue as some Mutants did not see themselves as diseased while other Mutants did. Bottom line, there was a battle between the two mind sets.
If you saw X2 then you obviously know that Jean Grey was killed off and as the movie ended, you knew she would be back as the Phoenix just like in the comics. I will surmise Jean’s come back was a real bitch & fucked up for love sick Scott Summers/Cyclops & Professor X. Jean’s return was actually fucked up for a lot of characters, because of her unbridled self destructive powers. Jean ultimately switches teams & joins Eric Lensherr/Magneto.
I think I actually liked the bad guys better this time, maybe that is because that got several new members with some cool powers not to mention that they were young & hip.
If you are in the need of some ridiculous fantasy based action this weekend or subsequently, the mos def check this out otherwise, see something else like the “Da Vinci Code”
What I did like:
- Graphics/ Graphics/ Graphics/ Graphics/ Graphics/
- The witty one-liners
- Seeing Storm get her ass kicked by Callisto then later kicking Callisto’s ass
- The huge fight out at Jean Grey’s house excluding the death of…
- The convoy & Mystique’s escape scene
- Arch Angel’s Break out
- The San Fran Golden Gate Bridge Destruction
- The potential that Magneto will be back
- The Ice Man & Pyro face off
- Dr. Kavita Rao (Shohreh Aghdashloo) I think she’s hot for an older Middle Eastern chick
- The finale fight
What I did not like:
- The demise of Professor X, Cyclops Magneto
- Seeing Logan/Wolverine Pussy Whipped & seeing him become Captain Sav-a-hoe
- Rogues life changing decision
- Seeing all of the “pawns” getting fucked up following Magneto’s orders
- The Beast (I think I would have felt better about Beast if Kelsey Grammer did not play him)
- Wasn’t long enough
A “cure” for mutancy threatens to alter the course of history. For the first time, mutants have a choice: retain their uniqueness, though it isolates and alienates them, or give up their powers and become human. The opposing viewpoints of mutant leaders Charles Xavier, who preaches tolerance, and Magneto, who believes in the survival of the fittest, are put to the ultimate test–triggering the war to end all wars